Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Philosophy of Buddhism Course
Philosophy of Buddhism is an 8 part lecture series on the foundational philosophical ideas that underpin Buddhism. It is suitable for those with minimal background in philosophy and/or Buddhism, but is designed primarily to offer robust foundations for those who want to penetrate more deeply into the most profound ideas of Buddhism.
- Lecture 1 – Context and History: India in 2,500bc, The Buddha, the unfolding of Buddhism, the many traditions of Buddhism.
- Lecture 2 – Foundational assumptions: samsara, avidyā, karma, pratītyasamutpāda & moksha.
- Lecture 3 – Constraint and freedom: four noble truths and eightfold path.
- Lecture 4 – The Buddhist account of ‘self’: anātman, anitya, pratītyasamutpāda & the skandhas.
- Lecture 5 – Mahayana philosophy of emptiness: Prajñāpāramitā, Madhyamika & Yogācāra.
- Lecture 6 – Tantra: symbolism, yidams, iconography, mantra & mudra.
- Lecture 7 – Criticisms, refutations and objections: materialism, theism & substance ontologies.
- Lecture 8 – Buddhist philosophy today: east-west dialogues, traditionalism and progression.